Friday, October 13, 2006

Onwards and Upwards




So once the passap had proved that it did indeed work, I decided to unpack the Knitmaster580.

We got it set up on the work top but it kept slipping off the surface so we drilled through the clamps!! It hasnt fallen off again, yet!

I managed to do a few sample pieces and then tried to use the lace carriage..just for the sheer hell of it. Hmmm, thats when I ran into all sorts of problem regarding the programming buttons and also the lace carriage kept snagging on the needles and I bent one!! Martin tried to straighten it and it broke!! Fortunatley I had some spares ( I did try to think of everything).

What I found was that a small piece of the top of a cigarette packet slipped under the sinker plate bolts before the sinker plate was attached did the trick!!! No more snagging, it went across the needles like a breeze!! So I tried to follow my very first machine knitting pattern. ( I had created the black zipper cardi by trial and error) It was for a lacey pair of baby rompers. Bearing in mind that I didnt know what a ravel cord was etc etc, but I soon learnt and the result was..disappointing, pattern rather irregular and not centred but another learning curve had been crossed.

Oh how I wished that I had had someone to show me!! Sure, I have enough books to open a library here but they do not cover some very basic things!!!

I subscribe to Machine Knitting Monthly and decided to try to make myself something. It is a cardigan with hand tooled vertical lace inserts and a scalloped hem. And I have to say that I am impressed!! At the moment all the pieces are made but....I need to make the front bands and I am having trouble...I pull forward the needles and hook on the front, purlside facing, but when I knit a few rows, some of the stitches are unravelling. I want a nice neat finish with a purl stitch at the start.
Should I e-wrap first??? If you know the answer please post a comment!! The cardigan awaits your suggestions.

No comments: